We recruited a diverse array of individuals across all age groups, professions, and levels of visual impairment. A contextual inquiry was conducted and affinity diagrams were created in order to develop detailed personas. We then created low fidelity prototypes with these personas in mind and then took them back to our users for think-aloud exercises. The feedback lead to further development with the result being a fully interactive prototype. We then conducted a heuristic evaluation of our interactive prototype and continued to iterate until we had fully functioning prototype to take to our users.
It was very hard to prototype for Google Glass because of the lack of software tools for the platform. We relied heavily on paper prototypes and wizard of oz scenarios. Fortunately, the team had some very strong software developers that took on the challenge of developing a fully functional prototype. Once we had enough user feedback with our low fidelity prototypes, we felt confident moving forward.
User Research, Prototype Development, UX Design, User Testing
A critical moment in development was following user research. Our initial project proposal called for a turn by turn navigation, but after learning more from our users, we decided to take a different approach. We realized that the visually impaired actually navigate by landmarks, and these landmarks were not always marked on traditional maps. With this new focus in mind, we were able to create an app that actually answered the needs of our users. When we showed them the final prototype, it was a delight to hear that we created something that would actually benefit their lives.